Universalis

Thursday 27 September 2007

Sweet corn at Latymer House



Here we see sweet corn - a kind of maize with sweet grains, growing in the front garden of Latymer House. It will soon be ready for harvesting. I doubt if there will be enough for the 750 people who eat school lunch each day!

When parishioners realise that I have to eat school dinners, they seem to pity me. Well, our school lunches are absolutely superb - and that is no joke. You would have to pay at least £10 if you had them in an ordinary restaurant - and the service is always with a smile. The Catholic Church is well-represented amongst our catering staff, though the Catering Manager (Adrian) is a devout Jew. And yes, we do get offered pork - in case you are wondering!

Fair waved the golden corn
In Canaan's pleasant land,
When full of joy, some shining morn,
Went forth the reaper-band.

To God so good and great
Their cheerful thanks they pour;
Then carry to his temple-gate
The choicest of their store.


Adrian would approve of these words. What a lovely thought for the day - 'God so good and great'. I have only one word to add - Alleluia!

2 comments:

John the organist said...

I wish this harvest hymn was better known. I have a lovely voluntary by William Lloyd Webber (Andrew's father) on the tune.

Peter Simpson said...

You may be pleased to know that the harvest will be featuring on this blog around the middle of October. We shall be celebrating Harvest Festival in the Chapel on Monday 15 October. I have already taken some suitable photos!

William Lloyd Webber used to be organist and choirmaster at All Saints' Margaret Street where I worshipped in my student days. He was succeeded by Michael Flemming and then by Dr Eric Arnold. Eric wrote a hymn tune (Deos - no, not a spelling mistake!) to the words of 'O praise our great and gracious Lord', at my request. It is a superb tune. I still have an original copy - dedicated to myself!

It was Eric who got a Solo Tuba for the organ (purchased from Gloucester Cathedral) - and who had an electronic 32' reed installed. It was fantastic when 'all the stops' were pulled out for the last verse of a hymn!