Universalis

Tuesday 4 September 2007

Rare birds on Ham Common



These birds must be very rare - because I don't know what they are! They certainly are not swans! Perhaps you can identify them for me?

Happy birds that sing and fly
Round thy altars, O most High;
Happier souls that find a rest
In a heavenly Father's breast;
Like the wandering dove that found
No repose on earth around,
They can to their ark repair,
And enjoy it ever there.


No, I know they are not doves!

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow, they do not harvest and do not store food in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than birds?

Only a short distance from the pond is an altar, from which our Heavenly Father feeds his children with the spiritual food of the Body and Blood of his only Son - Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Eagleseagles said...

Hi
These birds are Egyptian Geese.

Whilst there are some wild birds most have escaped from collections. I do not know where these are from altho there are freeflying Egyptan Geese at Osterley. The birds at Osterley breed well and are self sustaining - altho I dont know whether they are really wild!!
I'll leave you to look up Egyptian Geese on google or RSPB website!!

Peter Simpson said...

Many thanks for identifying the birds. I have to confess that I am a member of the RSPB, and that although some postings on the blog are meant to be fairly light-hearted, I had no idea of exactly what these birds were.

I am about to post a photo of more birds - this time some chicks in Isabella plantation. Perhaps you will be able to identify them!

Again, many thanks.