Universalis

Saturday 8 September 2007

A chick at Isabella Plantation



I am grateful to the person who informed my that the 'rare birds' at Ham Common pond were Egyptian Geese. Although I am a member of the RSPB, I have no idea of what this young chick is. Perhaps I will be enlightened on this also!

We can all give thanks for our childhood, but thank God for leading us towards adulthood.

When in the slippery paths of youth
With heedless steps I ran,
Thine arm unseen conveyed me safe,
And led me up to man.

3 comments:

Eagleseagles said...

Baby Moorhen.

Mother is not usually very far away.

I would suggest a trip to Barnes WWT in the spring where Coots, Moorhens . Mallards babies are in abundance!!
In fact there have been young until recently there and after watching for a while you will get to recognise the difference between the baby moorhen and coot.

Peter Simpson said...

Thanks for the identification - the baby moorhen is cute!

Also, thank you for the suggestion of visiting Barnes WWT in the spring. It could well provide me with useful photos for the blog.

We are so fortunate having such excellent wild life around South West London.

Diane Korzeniewski said...

Awwww - how sweet!