Today we find ourselves at the church of St Peter and The Holy Rood which is located in Sir George's Street in Thurso.
The Church was built in 1884 to a design by Alexander Ross of Inverness (who was responsible for so many other churches in the Diocese). It was opened for worship one year later. The chancel was not added until 1905. A feature of the Church is the ornately carved reredos behind the High Altar which is believed to be of German origin.
There is a green hill far away,
without a city wall,
where the dear Lord was crucified
who died to save us all.
We may not know, we cannot tell,
what pains he had to bear,
but we believe it was for us
he hung and suffered there.
He died that we might be forgiven,
he died to make us good,
that we might go at last to heaven,
saved by his precious blood.
There was no other good enough
to pay the price of sin,
he only could unlock the gate
of heaven and let us in.
O dearly, dearly has he loved!
And we must love him too,
and trust in his redeeming blood,
and try his works to do.