Universalis

Friday 1 March 2013

Lenten Pilgrimage - 15

Today we are visiting the Gordon Chapel in Fochabers.



We welcome you to the Church of St Elizabeth, Gordon Chapel, in the village of Fochabers, Moray. The Chapel is one of more than three hundred churches in the Scottish Episcopal Church. We hope that you find here something of the love and peace of God. Gordon Chapel is in the United Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness, one of the seven dioceses of the Scottish Episcopal Church. We greatly value our heritage and maintain a fully catholic sacramental and liturgical life.

We particularly hope that you enjoy looking at the images of our world-famous stained-glass windows designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones and made by William Morris and Company. During 2009-2011, Gordon Chapel underwent a major programme of restoration including the re-harling of the entire building as well as a new roof. The stained-glass windows were removed for restoration work and were reinstalled in early summer 2012.

The windows were formally rededicated at a special service on Sunday, 12th August 2012, which is the anniversary of the original consecration of the church in 1834.

Guide me, O thou great redeemer,
Pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but thou art mighty,
Hold me with thy powerful hand;
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven
Feed me till I want no more;
Feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain
Whence the healing stream doth flow;
Let the fire and cloudy pillar
Lead me all my journey through:
Strong deliverer, strong deliverer;
Be thou still my strength and shield;
Be thou still my strength and shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Death of death, and hell's destruction
Land me safe on Canaan's side:
Songs of praises, songs of praises,
I will ever give to thee;
I will ever give to thee.


No comments: