Universalis

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Lenten Pilgrimage - 19

Well, it's back to school! Today we are visiting St Christopher's Chapel at Gordonstoun School.



Gordonstoun School was founded in 1934 by Kurt Hahn, with the aim of encouraging self-reliance and independence. St Christopher's is the main school chapel, built 1965-6 to designs by former pupil Patrick Huggins, to complement the Michael Kirk. Seating is 'gathered about the lectern pulpit and the Communion Table' whose positions emphasise the equal importance of Word and Sacrament, while giving space for orchestral or dramatic performances.

One more step along the world I go,
one more step along the world I go;
from the old things to the new
keep me traveling along with you:
Refrain:
And it's from the old I travel to the new;
keep me traveling along with you.


Round the corner of the world I turn,
more and more about the world I learn;
all the new things that I see
you'll be looking at along with me: Refrain

As I travel through the bad and good,
keep me traveling the way I should;
where I see no way to go
you'll be telling me the way, I know: Refrain

Give me courage when the world is rough,
keep me loving though the world is tough;
leap and sing in all I do,
keep me traveling along with you: Refrain

You are older than the world can be,
you are younger than the life in me;
ever old and ever new,
keep me traveling along with you: Refrain




Gordonstoun School is very famous - both HRH Prince Philip (The Duke of Edinburgh) and HRH Prince Charles (The Prince of Wales) were pupils there - most impressive!



Here we see Prince Charles on his first day at the school in 1962, being introduced to the Headmaster by Prince Philip. The young Prince would spend plenty of time in St Christopher's Chapel.

No comments: