Today we are visiting St Ninian's, Glenurquhart, by Loch Meikle.
St Ninian’s is a small, attractive stone building on the shore of Loch Meiklie in Glen Urquhart. The site was given to the Episcopal Church with the churchyard in 1851.
It was consecrated, being free from debt on St Matthew’s Day 1853 by Bishop Robert Eden. The architect was Dr Alexander Ross who was also architect of the Cathedral and of so many churches in the Diocese. The modern east windows were added in 1985.
Set into the altar is a stone carved with a simple cross which came from the now demolished church at Temple in the mouth of Glen Urquhart. Historians now consider that Temple was the most northerly base of St Ninian, so this very early cross may have been seen by our Patron Saint at the end of the 4th century.
Fight the good fight with all thy might;
Christ is thy Strength, and Christ thy Right;
Lay hold on life, and it shall be
Thy joy and crown eternally.
Run the straight race through God’s good grace,
Lift up thine eyes, and seek His face;
Life with its way before us lies,
Christ is the Path, and Christ the Prize.
Cast care aside, upon thy Guide,
Lean, and His mercy will provide;
Lean, and the trusting soul shall prove
Christ is its Life, and Christ its Love.
Faint not nor fear, His arms are near,
He changeth not, and thou art dear.
Only believe, and thou shalt see
That Christ is all in all to thee.
Grateful thanks to the Met Office for providing an improved version of the Weather Widget - it is great!