Here we see Station Square Inverness - it forms a suitably grand entrance to the railway station - though most of the locals use one of the two side entrances! The Royal Highland Hotel is the building on the right.
Opened on 5 November 1855 as the western terminus of the Inverness and Nairn Railway to designs by the architect, Joseph Mitchell. The platform roofs were extended in 1876 by Murdoch Paterson. Between 1966 and 1968 the station buildings were replaced, the new design by Thomas Munro and Company.
It is now the terminus of the Highland Main Line, the Aberdeen-Inverness Line (of which the Inverness and Nairn Railway is now a part), the Kyle of Lochalsh Line and the Far North Line.
In the centre of Station Square is the Cameron Monument. The statue commemorates the fallen of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders during the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan in 1882 and 1885. The monument was unveiled by Lochiel, the chief of the clan Cameron and was erected by the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. The sculptor was G. Wade of London and the monument shows a Cameron Highlander with a sphinx at his feet.