Universalis

Thursday 17 June 2010

St Andrews - 18

John Knox ordered his men to destroy all the statues in the church buildings, which were transformed into Kirks. Here we see a statue of St Andrew being torn down from its niche and smashed.



On his return to Scotland, he led the Protestant Reformation in Scotland, in partnership with the Scottish Protestant nobility. The movement may be seen as a revolution, since it led to the ousting of Mary of Guise, who governed the country in the name of her young daughter, Mary, Queen of Scots. Knox helped write the new confession of faith and the ecclesiastical order for the newly created reformed church, the Kirk. He continued to serve as the religious leader of the Protestants throughout Mary's reign. In several interviews with the queen, Knox admonished her for supporting Catholic practices. Eventually, when she was imprisoned for her alleged role in the murder of her husband, Lord Darnley, and James VI enthroned in her stead, he openly called for her execution. He continued to preach until his final days.

O for a closer walk with God,
a calm and heavenly frame,
a light to shine upon the road
that leads me to the Lamb!

What peaceful hours I once enjoyed!
How sweet their memory still!
But they have left an aching void
The world can never fill.

Return, O holy Dove, return,
sweet messenger of rest;
I hate the sins that made thee mourn,
and drove thee from my breast.

The dearest idol I have known,
whate'er that idol be,
help me to tear it from thy throne,
and worship only thee.

So shall my walk be close with God,
calm and serene my frame;
so purer light shall mark the road
that leads me to the Lamb.

William Cowper, 1772



This video brings back happy memories of my 11 years in Belfast where I was living as a Protestant. I last attended an Orange Order Service at the Edenderry Field near Belfast on 12 July 1990 - the 300th Anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne. I was received into Full Communion with the Catholic Church on 28 September 1991.

No comments: