Universalis

Sunday 22 December 2013

4th Sunday of Advent

On this final Sunday of Advent our focus turns to the Blessed Virgin Mary.



Well, one knows one is getting old when bishops start to look young. I will leave you to decide which is the real Bishop of Salisbury! All I can say is that at this particular service the Magnificat (The Song of Mary) is usually sung to the beautiful setting of Stanford in G.

My soul doth magnify the Lord : and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
For he hath regarded : the lowliness of his handmaiden.
For behold, from henceforth : all generations shall call me blessed.
For he that is mighty hath magnified me : and holy is his Name.
And his mercy is on them that fear him : throughout all generations.
He hath shewed strength with his arm : he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He hath put down the mighty from their seat : and hath exalted the humble and meek.
He hath filled the hungry with good things : and the rich he hath sent empty away.
He remembering his mercy hath holpen his servant Israel : as he promised to our forefathers, Abraham and his seed for ever.
Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost;
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.




Happy Sunday!

No comments: