Universalis

Thursday 21 October 2010

Celebration of the Centuries - 20

Here we see the Scottish Soldiers from World War I (1914-18) enjoying a brief moment of relaxation (and even a 'cuppa') in their field kitchen.



As pants the hart for cooling streams
when heated in the chase,
so longs my soul, O God, for thee
and thy refreshing grace.

For thee, my God, the living God,
my thirsty soul doth pine:
O when shall I behold thy face,
thou Majesty divine?

Why restless, why cast down, my soul?
Hope still, and thou shalt sing
the praise of him who is thy God,
thy health's eternal spring.

To Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
the God whom we adore,
be glory, as it was, is now,
and shall be evermore.

N Tate and N Brady (1696)

2 comments:

joannaB73 said...

Lovely hymn; great photo :)

Peter Simpson said...

Yes, it's a great hymn. I always like to sing it on Gaudate and Laetare Sundays - it always seems perfect for these two rose Sundays. The tune and words seem so perfectly matched.