Universalis

Friday 5 December 2008

Sorrowful Mystery - 5

The 5th Sorrowful Mystery of the Holy Rosary is the Crucifixion.



The next good joy that Mary had,
It was the joy of six,
To see her own Son Jesus Christ
Upon the crucifix;
Upon the crucifix, good man,
And blessed ever may he be,
Both Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
To all eternity.


It seems hard to write about the crucifixion in such cheerful words, but out of sorrow, joy came to all the world. When Jesus cried 'It is finished!' - the strife was o'er and the battle done! We can all pray during this Advent season for a holy death. I think particularly today of my father (Ronnie) who died 47 years ago on 5 December 1961. I look forward to meeting him again, particularly as I cannot remember much about him! I'm told I look just like him - he must have been incredibly good looking.

Tomorrow we shall meditate on the First Glorious Mystery of the Holy Rosary - the Resurrection.

No comments: