Universalis

Sunday 14 December 2008

Advent 3 - Rejoice in the Lord always!

Today is Gaudate Sunday, and Holy Mother Church tells her children to rejoice! That is why we cast off the solemn purple vestments for the day, and wear cheerful rose ones instead. We are now over half way through the preparatory season of Advent - and the Christmas Festival is getting close - small wonder we rejoice! Mind you, I wouldn't recommend walking along the shores of the Moray Firth in t-shirt and shorts or a summer dress today - it's freezing. I reckon the good folk in today's picture belong to a very charismatic parish!



Hark! the glad sound! the Saviour comes,
the Saviour promised long:
let every heart prepare a throne,
and every voice a song.

He comes the prisoners to release
in Satan's bondage held;
the gates of brass before him burst,
the iron fetters yield.

He comes, the broken heart to bind,
the bleeding soul to cure;
and with the treasures of his grace
to enrich the humble poor.

Our glad hosannas, Prince of Peace,
thy welcome shall proclaim;
and heaven's eternal arches ring
with thy beloved Name.

Splendid words by Philip Doddridge (1702-1751).

Happy Sunday!

8 comments:

Edbowie said...

Indeed, with Bristol a splendid tune too !

Peter Simpson said...

Yes, I am very fond of the Advent hymns. I think my favourite is 'Lo! he comes with clouds descending' sung to Helmsley. I always pay a visit to Helmsley when I stay at Ampleforth, and sing the tune to myself as I cycle down the hill into the town. I am silent as I struggle back up the hill!

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Happy Sunday to you Peter! No the Oratory Fathers missed the dance out! Humbug!..errr..

Helen said...

Hello Deacon Peter
I'm enjoying your daily words and pictures.
Are you familiar with this trans-atlantic version:
http://deacbench.blogspot.com/
Helen (sacristan at St Columba's)

Peter Simpson said...

Dear Jackie - that's strange. When I was referring to a very charismatic parish, I had the Oratory in mind. I thought the lady on the shore was probably none other than the Catholic mom of 10!

Peter Simpson said...

Dear Helen - good to hear from you. I appreciated your rose blouse this morning. Yes, I am aware of Deacon Greg's blog - it is in a different league to mine! You may not enjoy the words for tomorrow and Tuesday so much - as I shall be quoting from one of my own hymns. I'm sure Culloden will feature on the blog before long - I only do really serious stuff during Advent and Lent. During the rest of the year I alternate between devotional and more domestic posts.

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

You cycle Peter??

Peter Simpson said...

Yes - it is probably my main hobby. When I lived in London I cycled about 100 miles a week (7 miles each way from home to work) plus around 30 miles at the weekend. My new home in Inverness is very high up (with super views!) but I am struggling with the hills after the relative flat of London. I intend to get a new bike in the sales with more gears. My present bike is a Ridgeback Nemesis - I really like it, but it only has 8 gears - Shimano hub. Inverness is a fantastic area for cycling - one of the reasons I chose to move here - before I am too old!