Universalis

Thursday 14 February 2008

Psalter: Week 1 - Thursday

Today we turn to Psalm 57, which according to St Augustine celebrates the passion of Christ.



Have mercy on me God, have mercy
for in you my soul has taken refuge.
In the shadow of your wings I take refuge
till the storms of destruction pass by.

I call to God the Most High,
to God who has always been my help.
May he send from heaven and save me
and shame those who assail me.
May God send his truth and love.

My soul lies down among lions,
who would devour the sons of men.
Their teeth are spears and arrows,
their tongue a sharpened sword.

O God arise above the heavens;
may your glory shine on earth!

They laid a snare for my steps,
my soul was bowed down.
They dug a pit in my path
but fell in it themselves.

My heart is ready, O God,
my heart is ready.
I will sing, I will sing your praise.

Awake my soul,
awake pyre and harp,
I will awake the dawn.

I will thank you Lord among the peoples,
among the nations I will praise you
for your love reaches to the heavens
and your truth to the skies.

O God, arise above the heavens;
may your glory shine on earth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! That's beautiful!