Universalis

Monday 28 January 2008

Feast of St Thomas Aquinas - 1

Here we see the church of St Thomas Aquinas, Ham in festal array, ready for the celebration of the Patronal Festival - which falls today.



St Thomas Aquinas wrote some very splendid Eucharistic hymns.

Godhead here in hiding, whom I do adore,
Masked by these bare shadows, shape and nothing more,
See, Lord, at thy service low lies here a heart
Lost, all lost in wonder at the God thou art.

Seeing, touching, tasting are in thee deceived;
How says trusty hearing? That shall be believed;
What God's Son hath told me, take for truth I do;
Truth himself speaks truly, or there's nothing true.

On the Cross thy Godhead made no sign to men;
Here the very Manhood steals from human ken;
Both are my confession, both are my belief,
And I pray the prayer of the dying thief.