Universalis

Wednesday 20 June 2007

The Prodigal Son

This year - 2007 - is Year C - the Year of Luke, when we read from Luke's Gospel on all the Sundays in Ordinary Time. I have to say that Luke is my favourite of the four Gospels - and one of my favourite stories in Luke is the Parable of the Prodigal Son. Again we can find it (like the Parable of the Lost Sheep) in Chapter 15.

Here is a lovely poster depicting the scene when the son returns to his father.

Quite appropriate, because last Sunday was Father's Day!

2 comments:

John the organist said...

Great picture and I love the Rembrandt too! I have to say John is my favourite gospel but luke has so many lovely feminine features too. Women are very important!

Peter Simpson said...

I must say that I find John a bit heavy going in places! I suppose I like a good story - and Luke is a great story teller.

We also have to thank Luke for the Benedictus, the Magnificat, and the Nunc Dimittis - the three great gospel cantcles at Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Night Prayer. He should also take some credit for the Gloria at the Eucharist!

As I am also very fond of the Acts of the Apostles I feel I should found the St Luke fan club! At least I can be sure that good St Luke will be praying for me in heaven - I could do with his prayers!