Universalis

Thursday 5 April 2007

12th Station - Jesus dies on the cross

In the words of Bishop How:

It is a thing most wonderful,
almost too wonderful to be,
that God's own Son should come from heaven,
and die to save a child like me.

And yet I know that it is true:
he chose a poor and humble lot,
and wept, and toiled, and mourned, and died,
for love of those who loved him not.

I cannot tell how he could love
a child so weak and full of sin;
His love must be most wonderful,
If he could die my love to win.

Wonderful words, as are these by Thomas Kelly:

We sing the praise of him who died,
of him who died upon the cross;
the sinner's hope let men deride,
for this we count the world but loss.

Inscribed upon the cross we see
in shining letters, 'God is love';
he bears our sins upon the tree;
he brings us mercy from above.

Dear Jesus, Thank you for your death on the cross!

1 comment:

John the organist said...

Thanks be to Thee for all the pains and insults you bore for me. This Good Friday is the first since my dear Mum and Dad died and I feel them so close now that they have passed to higher service. They gave me a sure grounding in faith and Love.