Universalis

Wednesday 2 November 2011

All Souls' Day

We do not know how long it is before a soul expectant becomes a saint triumphant - my reading of the gospels leads me to suspect rather less time than we think!

I remember being deacon at Westminster Cathedral in June 2003 at a Requiem Mass for Cardinal Vaughan - who had died in June 1903. I found the whole service in purple vestments rather depressing. If Cardinal Vaughan (who had been responsible for the building of the Cathedral) had not already got into heaven, I dreaded to think how long I will have to wait when I die!

On this All Soul's Day I will be praying especially for the repose of the soul of John Holdsworth, my dear late step-father, who died on 20 March 2011. I conducted his funeral at Harrogate Crematorium on 31 March, and presided at the burial of his ashes at Kilvean Cemetery (just outside Inverness) on 20 September. I shall visit his grave later today and put some flowers there. One day this grave will no doubt be the resting place for my earthly remains.



Jesus lives! thy terrors now
can no longer, death, appall us;
Jesus lives! by this we know
thou, O grave, canst not enthrall us.
Alleluia!

Jesus lives! henceforth is death
but the gate of life immortal;
this shall calm our trembling breath
when we pass its gloomy portal.
Alleluia!

Jesus lives! for us he died;
then, alone to Jesus living,
pure in heart may we abide,
glory to our Saviour giving.
Alleluia!

Jesus lives! our hearts know well
nought from us his love shall sever;
life, nor death, nor powers of hell
tear us from his keeping ever.
Alleluia!

Jesus lives! to him the throne
over all the world is given:
may we go where he has gone,
rest and reign with him in heaven.
Alleluia!



Rest eternal grant unto him, O Lord.
And may light perpetual shine upon him.

May he rest in peace,
And rise in glory. Amen.

No comments: