Universalis

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Edinburgh Castle - 29

Here we see the magnificent Scottish National War Memorial. In the Middle Ages, the castle church of St Mary graced the north side of Crown Square. Following James V's development of Holyrood Palace in the 1530s, the church was converted into a munitions store. It was eventually demolished in 1754 and replaced by the North Barracks.



When the garrison left the castle in 1923, the opportunity was taken to adapt the barracks as the Scottish National War Memorial to the dead of the First World War. The Duke of Rothesay (the future Edward VIII) formally opened Scotland's National Shrine on 14 July 1927, in the presence of Their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary. The building now also commemorates those who fell in the Second World War and in military campaigns since 1945.

They came to Bethsaida, and some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him. He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When he had spit on the man’s eyes and put his hands on him, Jesus asked, “Do you see anything?”

He looked up and said, “I see people; they look like trees walking around.”

Once more Jesus put his hands on the man’s eyes. Then his eyes were opened, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. Jesus sent him home, saying, “Don’t even go into the village.”
(Mark 8:22-26)

Time for our hymn!

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures;
He will my Shield and Portion be,
As long as life endures.


No comments: