Universalis

Thursday 12 August 2010

Durham - 4

Between the Cathedral and the Castle is a lovely grassy area called Palace Green. The gentleman with his back to my camera who is taking a photo of the Cathedral is none other than Bishop Edward Darling - the Executive President of The Hymn Society of Great Britain & Ireland. It is almost 25 years since I last saw Edward at his Episcopal Ordination in Christ Church Cathedral Dublin on 30 November 1986. We both walked to the Cathedral from Collingwood College and had a great time reminiscing on the good old days!



One of my favourite hymn tunes is 'Palace Green' by Michael Fleming. I am used to singing it to the words of the hymn 'Sing praise to God who reigns above', but at the conference we used the tune for the hymn 'Let all creation bless the Lord' by Carl P Daw Jr. I had breakfast with Carl before leaving Durham to catch the train back to Inverness. I do so enjoy mixing with famous people!

Michael Fleming wrote the splendid hymn tune whilst still an undergraduate student at Durham.

No comments: