Universalis

Saturday 21 August 2010

Durham - 12

For this final post on Durham we have my favourite Dykes hymn tune 'Dominus regit me' which is set to the words of a metrical version of Psalm 23. The organist on this recording is Martin Baker, the current Master of Music at Westminster Cathedral.



John Bacchus Dykes was born in Hull, England, the fifth child and third son of William Hey Dykes and his wife Elizabeth Dykes (née Huntington), and a younger brother of the poet and hymnist Eliza Alderson. By the age of 10, he was the assistant organist at St John's Church in Drypool, Hull, where his grandfather, the Rev. Thomas Dykes, was vicar. He was taught the violin and the piano. He studied at Wakefield and St Catharine's College, Cambridge, earning a BA in Classics in 1847. He cofounded the Cambridge University Musical Society.

He was ordained as curate of Malton in 1847. For a short time, he was canon of Durham Cathedral, then precentor (1849 – 1862). In 1862 he became vicar of St. Oswald's, Durham, until his death in 1876.

He published numerous sermons and articles on religion; however, he is best known for over 300 hymn tunes he composed. Amongst those which are still in wide use are: Nicaea, commonly sung to the words "Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!"; Wir Pflügen, harmonised by Dykes and commonly sung to the words "We plough the fields, and scatter"; Melita, sung to the words "Eternal Father, Strong to Save"; Gerontius, sung to the words "Praise to the Holiest in the height" (taken from Cardinal Newman's poem The Dream of Gerontius); O Perfect Love; and Dominus Regit Me, sung to the words "The King of love my shepherd is", one of the many metrical versions of Psalm 23.

Unlike many influential clergy of his time, Dykes resolutely upheld the high church tradition to the consternation of his bishop, and was something of a renegade figure in the Victorian Church.

Dykes died in Sussex at age 52, and is buried at St. Oswald’s, Durham.

The King of love my Shepherd is,
Whose goodness faileth never,
I nothing lack if I am His
And He is mine forever.

Where streams of living water flow
My ransomed soul He leadeth,
And where the verdant pastures grow,
With food celestial feedeth.

Perverse and foolish oft I strayed,
But yet in love He sought me,
And on His shoulder gently laid,
And home, rejoicing, brought me.

In death’s dark vale I fear no ill
With Thee, dear Lord, beside me;
Thy rod and staff my comfort still,
Thy cross before to guide me.

Thou spread’st a table in my sight;
Thy unction grace bestoweth;
And O what transport of delight
From Thy pure chalice floweth!

And so through all the length of days
Thy goodness faileth never;
Good Shepherd, may I sing Thy praise
Within Thy house forever.

H W Baker (1821-1877)



Well, on Monday we are off to the Highland Games in Inverness!

No comments: