Universalis

Saturday 24 May 2008

Lambeth Palace - 3

Robert Runcie was (the 102nd) archbishop from 1980-1991. Previously he had been Bishop of St Albans, and I met him twice in this role. On one occasion I was an altar server at the service he was taking, and he asked me (very politely!) to unpack his bag. I was amused to find amongst all his robes a Marks and Spencer's pork pie. He noticed my amusement and said 'oh dear, you're not Jewish are you?' He had a keen sense of humour, and even appeared on the Michael Parkinson show. He had the joy of welcoming Pope John Paul II to Canterbury Cathedral in May 1982.



George Carey was (the 103rd) archbishop from 1991 - 2003, and he is now living in retirement. He had previously been Bishop of Bath and Wells. I met him once at Westminster Cathedral, when I was deacon at a Requiem Mass for Cardinal Basil Hume in June 1999. He did not seem at home at the service - but then of course, that was sadly the case.



The present (104th) archbishop (since 2003) is a Welshman - Dr Rowan Williams. He enjoys good relations with the Roman Catholic Church, but is going through hard times in his leadership of the Anglican Communion. Please pray for him as he prepares to host the 2008 Lambeth Conference.

We have some alleluias to look forward to on Sunday.

1 comment:

John the organist said...

I met George Carey twice and found him absolutely charming. I think Runcie tended to be indiscreet whereas Rowan Williams is a wonderful speaker and thinker. He needs our prayers at this difficult time. Nice portraits by the way!