Universalis

Friday 23 May 2008

Lambeth Palace - 2

As I walked down the corridor from the State Reception Room to the Guard Room (where dinner was served), I passed the portraits of a number of former Archbishops of Canterbury. I recognised four of them.



Michael Ramsay was (the 100th) archbishop from 1961-1974. He was a very saintly man, and longed for the Anglican Church to be reunited with the Roman Catholic Church. He was also keen on unity with the Methodist Church. I had the privilege of meeting him three times - twice as archbishop, and once after retirement. On this last occasion (Holy Week 1978) he and his wife joined me in my flat for supper. I served them roast chicken!



Donald Coggan was (the 101st) archbishop from 1974-1980. He came from the Low Church tradition, and had previously been Archbishop of York and Bishop of Bradford. As a Yorkshireman, I strongly approved of his pedigree! I had the privilege of meeting him twice, and found him easy to get on with. He never sampled my cooking!

1 comment:

John the organist said...

I met Donald Coggan after a service at Southwark anglican cathedral - he had a brilliant mind. We saw Michael Ramsay at evensong when we were singing at Durham cathedral - what a magnificent man - like a rock bit like Sir William Walton.