Universalis

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Edinburgh Castle - 1

The previous two Lents we have been spoilt - we have either been taken on a tour of the Scottish Islands (2009) or of the Scottish Coastline (2010). No such luck this year! No, we are to spend the next 46 days imprisoned inside Edinburgh Castle. Only on Holy Saturday will our release be ensured.

Please click on the map for a clearer view.



Still, it could be worse. We have been left a copy of Mark's Gospel inside our cell and so shall have plenty of time for Bible study. So, let's get stuck in!

The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah,the Son of God.

As it is written in Isaiah the prophet:

“I will send my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way”—
“a voice of one calling in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.’”

And so John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. John wore clothing made of camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. And this was his message: “After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”
(Mark 1:1-8)

We read in the Acts of the Apostles (Acts 16:25) how Paul and Silas sang hymns whilst they were in prison, so let us follow their example. Fortunately, we have also been supplied with a hymn book in our cell.

Have mercy, Lord, on me,
As Thou wert ever kind;
Let me, oppressed with loads of guilt,
Thy wonted mercy find.

Wash off my foul offense,
And cleanse me from my sin;
For I confess my crimes, and see
How great my guilt has been.

The joy Thy favour gives
Let me again obtain,
And Thy free Spirit’s firm support
My fainting soul sustain.

To God the Father, Son,
And Spirit glory be,
As ’twas, and is, and shall be so
To all eternity.




Yes, our cell is cold. Note, the organist needs to wear gloves! This reminds me of my time at All Saint's, Margaret Street, in the 1970's. One Sunday the heating broke down, and the Organist (Dr Eric Arnold) complained to the Vicar that it was so cold he might have to wear gloves when playing the organ. As quick as a flash the Vicar (Fr David Sparrow) replied, 'well that will make a welcome change from the mittens you usually wear!'

Happy Lent!

No comments: