Universalis

Thursday 8 April 2010

Easter Octave - 5



Jesus lives! thy terrors now
can, O death, no more appall us;
Jesus lives! by this we know
thou, O grave, canst not enthrall us.
Alleluia!

Jesus lives! henceforth is death
but the gate of life immortal;
this shall calm our trembling breath
when we pass its gloomy portal.
Alleluia!

Jesus lives! for us he died;
then, alone to Jesus living,
pure in heart may we abide,
glory to our Saviour giving.
Alleluia!

Jesus lives! our hearts know well
nought from us his love shall sever;
life, nor death, nor powers of hell
tear us from his keeping ever.
Alleluia!

Jesus lives! to him the throne
over all the world is given:
may we go where he has gone,
rest and reign with him in heaven.
Alleluia!

Christian Friedrich Gellert (1715-1769)
trans. Frances E. Cox (1812-1897)

Happy Feast!

2 comments:

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Love the picture..I don't think I can squash it in! Will say a prayer for you on my retreat if u say one for me? Is that blackmail? lol

Peter Simpson said...

Dear Jackie - have a great retreat! I shall certainly remember you (and all the family) in my prayers - and thanks for remembering me.