Universalis

Monday 10 August 2009

Edinburgh Zoo - 1

Today we celebrate the Feast of St Laurence - Deacon and Martyr.

On the last day of July, I paid a visit to Edinburgh Zoo. I am aware that not everybody is happy with the idea of keeping animals etc in zoos, but I have to say that this zoo had a very different feel to say London Zoo.



I was surprised by the size of the site and the extremely hilly nature of it! The animals seemed to have far more room to move around than I had expected, and there was no hint of putting on shows to entertain us humans! In many cases the animals seemed to be hardly aware of our presence. Some of the close up photos you are about to see come are the result of a 12x optical zoom lense on my camera - not my physical closeness. After all, I am still alive to tell the tale!

I would happily recommend a visit to anyone. And if you do go, may I suggest you take lunch in the Manor House? It is a most gracious setting with superb food and service, and is fantastic value for money.

Happy Feast!

1 comment: